Time in Japan

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

A Great Day!

Before I had internet in my apartment, I went to the library in Minami to use their computers. Minami is a part of Nasukarasuyama near Ogane station. The Board of Education is also there. There are at least 3 computers there, and you can check them out for 30 minutes at a time, and just keep using them if there is nobody waiting for them. But, it costs ¥200 each way to get from Karasuyama station to Ogane station.

So I asked at the local koban (a small police station) if there was a library near Karasuyama station. It turns out there is. But, it only has one computer. So, when I went there the first time, someone was using it. I decided I’d come back later.

To my surprise the lady who was using the computer told me, in English, that she would be done in about 20 minutes, and I could have it then. So I stuck around. When she was done, she introduced herself and we chatted a bit. She lives in Australia, and is visiting her mom. She gave me her phone number, and said to call if I needed help with anything. How nice!

Last weekend, I was at the local supercenter (open from 10 to 8), and ran into her. We chatted some more, and I gave her my phone number, as I actually have one now.

So, last Sunday we went to a local restaurant and just had the all you can drink drink bar. It’s not what you think! Just coffee, tea, cocoa and soft drinks. We had a nice long chat.

Yesterday was a holiday. It’s Showa Day. It’s the beginning of the string of holidays that are known as Golden Week here. Imagine Thanksgiving and Christmas combined to imagine the number of people who travel at this time! Showa Day used to be the Emperor’s Birthday before he passed away. Then for a while, it was Greenery Day. Now it’s Showa Day, named for the reign of Emperor Hirohito. What that meant for me was a day off.

My new friend and I went to the place where they make handmade paper. I’d been there before, but I had only seen the paper gift shop. There is another one. Then we went to a restaurant near the au store. It was quite good – I had the hamburg steak (like a meatloaf burger with no bun), and she had the tonkatsu (a breaded pork cutlet). Then we went to Taki, which by train is the first stop after leaving Karasuyama Station.

Taki means “waterfall”, which is convenient because that’s what we went to see there. The waterfall is called “Ryumon-no-taki”, which means “Dragon Gate Waterfall”. There is also a small museum. Inside is a room with a display that suddenly roars like a dragon and talks in a loud, low monster voice and is guaranteed to scare even kids who don’t understand what it’s saying. The area by the waterfall is cool (temperature wise), and it’s within walking distance of Taki station, so I can see coming here when it’s very hot in summer!

Then we went to a shibazakura garden in Ichikai. It’s made of
moss phlox. About 5
years ago, some smaller towns got money from the central government. This is what Ichikai spent their money on. It brings in tourists, especially since the flowers bloom around Golden week. There was a lot of traffic on the way in. We even saw a bus with a license plate from Osaka. I guess they were on their way to Nasu (a resort area north of Nasukarasuyama) and this is just a stop on the way.

The weather was warm, but not too warm. All in all, I had a great day!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a lot of Phlox.

Anonymous said...

You know, it is getting warm in Tucson (94 degrees yesterday). So that waterfall looks marvelous!

We know that there is a beautiful garden of tulips in Carlsbad, CA that looks similar to the phlox garden.

Glad you are getting around and meeting people.
ktucson