Time in Japan

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

More on Food and Prices

I continue to be equally surprised by which foods I can get and by which I can't easily get here. For instance, eating from the deli is a cheap way to get some pretty good food: sushi, onigiri, fried fish, gyoza, salads, etc.

Cheese, on the other hand is expensive and comes in very small quantities. I've also been told that some of it is best described as "scary". I haven't splurged on cheese yet. That may be part of the reason that I've lost 9 kg since I came here.

Today, I saw a jar of olives. I haven't had an olive since March, so I sprang for a small bottle of olives for ¥318. Mmmm....olives!

Here are some pics of Japanese food:

Here is a salad combo from Domy, the local grocery store. All the salads here have a vinegar dressing. The one on the lower left is a tako salad. Not to be confused with a taco salad, this one has tako -- octopus in it!


This is a very small bag of fish and chips. It was good. I bought a hotdog on a stick afterwards, then I was full.












Finally, the eatery on the corner in this picture will have to change its name if it ever opens a branch in the US!

For those of you with aging eyes like mine, it says "Coffee & Pasta FAT".


This is a spicy noodle dish that another student ordered. She thought it was very spicy, which means I'll never try it.


Here is a rough cost of living comparison. Currently, at $1=¥109.75, gas is $6.22/gallon here. I'm glad I'm not driving!

No comments: