Time in Japan

Friday, October 20, 2017

台風 Typhoon!

The word for 'typhoon' in Japanese is 台風, pronounced taifū.  Both the Japanese and English words come from the Chinese, 'táifēng' (simplified Chinese: 台风; traditional Chinese: 颱風).  The word "typhoon' is used for storms in the northwest Pacific Ocean, while 'hurricane' is used for the same sort of storm in the northeast Pacific Ocean and the Atlantic Ocean.

Typhoon Lan is predicted to hit Japan on Sunday or Monday as either a typhoon or a post-tropical depression.  I've never experienced a typhoon (or hurricane as tropical storms in the Atlantic are called).

Here is Lan's predicted path.  I'm in the red area now.

 This map shows where there are currently advisories.  I've circled Aichi prefecture, where I am, in red.

 Classes may be canceled on Monday, depending on the weather.  Of course, that's when 2 of our mid-terms are scheduled!

In this age of social media, the school will post on Facebook if classes are canceled.

My apartment is on a hill, and on the second floor (first floor, for any Brits), so I'm not worried about flooding at all.

I've prepared by making sure that I have food for 3 days, as well as plenty of bottled beverages including water.  I also have some food that will require no preparation.

Hopefully, Lan will dissipate before reaching Japan.


No comments: