Time in Japan

Thursday, May 8, 2008

Earthquake

If you saw this article on Yahoo! news, I knew about it before you!

Strong quake jolts east Japan, no damage reported

Wed May 7, 2:07 PM ET

TOKYO (Reuters) - A strong earthquake with a preliminary magnitude of 6.7 jolted a wide area of eastern Japan early on Thursday, including Tokyo, the Japan Meteorological Agency said.

There were no immediate reports of damage, although television pictures showed computer screens rocking and hanging objects swinging in a newsroom at public broadcaster NHK.

The quake, at 1:45 a.m. (12:45 p.m. EDT Wednesday), was centered around 160 km (100 miles) east of Tokyo, around 40 km (25 miles) below sea level in the Pacific Ocean, the agency and its U.S. equivalent, the U.S. Geological Survey, said.


The one around 1 am definitely woke me up. Dishes rattled here but I wasn't getting out of bed unless the shaking got worse. I have most of my things on the floor in neat stacks, so I don't have to worry about anything falling on me.

Here is a website for those of you who would like to check out seismic activity in Japan:

http://www.jma.go.jp/en/quake/quake_local_index.html





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whoa! Will the thrills never end for you? ;D

Anonymous said...

This quake was registered on the seismograph at the Desert Museum. We, of course, felt nothing.