Time in Japan

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Little House on the.....


Sunday, my friend came to take me around to do some sight-seeing.

Along the way, we stopped at several farmers markets. There were always lots of strawberries, a local specialty. There were no nice looking tomatoes yet. But there were some veggies that I had never seen before! Too bad I'd just bought a cucumber, as the prices were better at the farmers markets.

We went to look at some old farm houses. One had been moved, so there were two of them right next to each other. They have high thatched roofs. They look like they would be comfortable in summer--they were shady and you could open them up to let a good breeze in. But it looks like you wouldn't be able to heat them very well. Of course, you probably had animals inside as well.


Now, came the surprise! My friend had seen a newspaper article about a man who loved the "Little House on the Prairie" books so much that he'd built a log cabin. When we got there, my friend introduced me as from Wisconsin, and his face just lit up! He'd been to Wisconsin to study dairy farming, and was actually a dairy farmer! We went up to see the log cabin, and here it is:


After we saw the cabin, we saw his ponies -- before they ran back to the pasture. We went back to the place by the road (I'm not sure if that's their house or not.) and had some fresh milk! His wife also knits!!

I'm going back there on Saturday. Too bad I don't have my own car, as it's out in the country.

4 comments:

owenandbenjamin said...

Where in Japan are you staying?

Anonymous said...

It's a small, small world!!! Who'd have thought that "Little House" would be a source of common interest in Japan. Tell him your tales of girl scout camping in SD, and how we tried to petition for a US postage stamp for LIW. What's the significance of the red/white quilt? How was the milk? Amazing! ktucson

Me said...

Tornadoes28, I'm in eastern Tochigi prefecture. The city I'm in is quite spread out since it's formed from a merger of several towns. It's "inaka" as the locals say. That's Japanese for "boondocks" or "the sticks"!

Thanks for reading my blog!

Anonymous said...

How do you do it. You find the best people and places under the most unlikely circumstances. Dad