Time in Japan

Thursday, February 2, 2017

Bit of a cold


I haven't blogged the last few days because I have a bit of a cold.

I bought week's worth of face masks so I don't share my germs.  This also elicits sympathy from the teachers, which is kind of nice.  However, I have not figured out how to wear a mask and not have my glasses steam up.

I lost one of my favorite scarves yesterday.  I don't even know where I lost it.

I'll want one on Saturday when I go on the tour to Shirakawago -- it's north of here and in the mountains, which means it will be cold.  Luckily, one of my teachers mentioned that Uniqlo probably has a sale on them.

Oh, Darn!  I have to go to Uniqlo!  I really like their stuff, and their prices are already reasonable.  Not the el cheapo Goodwill prices that I prefer, but reasonable nonetheless -- this scarf is 100% lamb's wool and on sale for for ¥790 ($7.03).


I also got what is called a towelket.  It's blanket sized, but the material is like a towel.   They are great for sleeping in the summer.  The quilt on my futon is too heavy sometimes, but it's still too cold to sleep with nothing, so this is a good compromise.

Here are some recent bento meals:

Fried fish, kabocha (Japanese winter squash), various salads, rice.

Fried chicken, a wiener, potato salad, some other salads, the pink is pickled ginger, rice with a pickled plum (umeboshi) on it.



Fried fish, potato salad, more salads, the grey thing to the right of the potato salad and fish is konjac.  It's flavorless and has the texture of jello fingers.  It's low in calories but high in fiber. 


Agedofu -- fried tofu.


Sushi.  On the right is aburaage -- pouches made from fried tofu.  They are stuffed with sushi rice.


Well, tomorrow is Setsubun -- that means that winter is officially over.  Yay!

No comments: