Time in Japan

Monday, February 20, 2017

How convenient!


Japan is very convenient.  It's almost one giant conbini - a convenience store!

I want to go to Matsumoto next Saturday.  Train tickets are about ¥7000 each way, which is a bit spendy.  Luckily, there are highway buses that do not have the reputation of Greyhound buses, and they tend to be cheaper than the trains.  So, I found a Meitetsu highway bus that will take me from Nagoya to Matsumoto and back for ¥3000 each way.

I make my reservation and try to pay with my debit card.  No joy.  They won't accept my card.

Am I out of luck? No.

Do I have to go to the Meitetsu bus station in Nagoya to buy my tickets? No.

Do I have to take a chance that all the will be sold out when I arrive at the bus station on Saturday? No.

I can go to the convenience store that is mere footsteps from my dorm to buy the tickets!

I made my reservation, then chose "Pay at a convenience store".  Then, an email from Meitetsu arrived with the necessary codes.  I took my cellphone with the email to Ministop, and use their machine to print a payment slip, which I handed to the clerk.  I paid for my tickets, and got a receipt showing I've paid for my seats.

Wasn't that easy?

Now I just need to get up early enough to get to the bus station before 7 a.m. on Saturday.

Trivia:  7-Eleven stores started in Texas, but now their parent company is in Japan!  There are now more 7-Eleven stores in Japan than anywhere else in the world.

Other convenience stores I've seen here are Circle K, Lawson, Family Mart, and Ministop.

No comments: