Time in Japan

Thursday, February 9, 2017

Hair cut


A few days ago, I decided my hair needed a trim.  My language skills won't get this done elegantly, but they should get it done.

I'm used to going to the cheap walk-in places like Cost Cutters or Great Clips.  My hair is fairly short and never does much of anything, so there's no point in throwing much money at it.

I had gone to a ¥1000 ($8.91) walk-in place the last time I was in Japan but hadn't seen anything like that this time.  I had walked past a shop that advertised cuts "from  ¥6000", so I knew I had to do some research.

Luckily, we have the internet.  Google showed my a few shops nearby, some of which had websites -- complete with menu and haircuts at  ¥4000.  That's more than I wanted to spend on my hair, but that seemed to be the minimum. Also, it means ¥4000 + tax only -- no tips!  One was even in WingTown.  I'm glad I looked it up, because it was tucked in little hall on it's own, so I'd never find it if I didn't already know it was there.

Lacking confidence in talking on the phone, I went to the salon to make an appointment in person. I'm hoping to get it done before Friday.  The conversation went roughly like this:

Me:  I'd like to make an appointment.
Salon:  Certainly, when?
Me:  (Hopefully) Today?
Salon:  (Looking at schedule) Is now OK?
Me:  (Yes.  Yes it is.)  Now is fine.

One thing that was nice was the shampoo sink.  Once I sat in the stylist's chair, I stayed there.  The sink was on a swivel behind the chairs, so it could be swung to each stylist's chair.  What happened if everyone needed to shampoo at once, I don't know, but it's nice to stay in one chair.

Also, a head and shoulder massage is nice.

So, while I kind of cobbled together the language needed, I do know enough Japanese to get this done!

No comments: